Environmental groups expressed concern on Wednesday over what they described as a lack of transparency in ongoing legal proceedings for environmental activist Francisco “Eco” Dangla, following a court’s decision to bar local observers during a key hearing.
Members of Kalikasan People’s Network for the Environment (Kalikasan PNE), along with the Environmental Defenders Congress and Karapatan Central Luzon, staged a protest outside the Court of Appeals on March 19, as the tribunal held its fourth hearing on Dangla’s petition for Writ of Amparo and Habeas Data.
Dangla, who survived abduction and alleged torture in 2023, previously secured a provisional grant of legal protection from the Supreme Court.
His supporters said the refusal to allow local observers in court undermines transparency and denies solidarity from fellow defenders.
“It is as if we are being denied transparency on the proceedings given that this is a public hearing with the abduction victim as the petitioner,” said Jonila Castro, spokesperson for Kalikasan PNE.
Castro also questioned what she described as “arbitrary rules” set by the Court of Appeals, noting that while supporters were denied entry, the Office of the Solicitor General was represented in greater numbers.
“While the Office of the Solicitor General’s respondents outnumber the petitioners inside the court,” she said, “it is as if we are being denied transparency on the proceedings given that this is a public hearing with the abduction victim as the petitioner.”
Dangla and fellow activist Joxielle “Jak” Tiong were reportedly abducted by armed, masked men in Pangasinan in 2023.
They were held for three days and subjected to physical and psychological abuse. Both had led opposition campaigns against waste-to-energy projects, modular nuclear plants, and black sand mining in the province. Since their release, they have allegedly continued to face threats and harassment.
Citing data on attacks against environmental defenders, Castro said the country remains a perilous place for activists.
“The Philippines remains the deadliest country for environmental activists in Asia, with 15 abductions under Marcos Jr.’s administration,” she said. “This dirty tactic to silence environmental defenders must stop. Alongside, the government must act on ensuring justice to victims of enforced disappearances and other human rights violations.”
The groups reiterated calls for accountability, protection of environmental defenders, and transparency in legal proceedings.
0 Comments